One of my favorite things about Summer is being outside, especially enjoying a beautiful sunset. I just love watching the day turn to night along with the sparkle of fireflies and the twinkle of a starry night.
For years, I missed out on being outside during this magical time because I would get eaten alive by mosquitos, and I hated spraying toxic bug spray on my body and smelling like deet.
A few years ago, I discovered an essential oil recipe that is a natural, non-toxic, pleasant smelling way to keep mosquitoes away.
Here’s the ingredients and easy recipe:
Homemade Mosquito Repellent Spray Ingredients
- Essential oils: Choose from these – Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Mint. Use 2-3 of the oils you enjoy. Brands I recommend – Young Living, doTerra
- Natural Witch Hazel
- Distilled or boiled water
- 10 0z Spray Bottle – My favorite!
Homemade Bug Spray Instructions
- Fill spray bottle 1/2 full with distilled or boiled water
- Add Witch Hazel to fill almost to the top.
- Add 30-50 drops of essential oils to desired scent. The more oils you use, the stronger the spray will be. My personal favorite mixture is: Clove, Citronella, Lemon, Rosemary, and Mint. It works great and smells amazing!
You can protect yourself as you enjoy the fresh smell of these wonderful oils. In this case the healthier option is also the more fun one!
And to keep moths out of your closet……
Use the same ratio of water, Witch Hazel, and Essential Oils with either Clove or CedarWood Oil.
You can spray it directly on the walls of your closets or on CedarWood chips that you can place in between your sweater stacks 😉
Cheers to a magical summer!